Friday, May 9, 2014

Our House: A Summary

snowstorm 2014

snowstorm 2014

snowstorm 2014

Supplies total: $3,769
Labor total: $3,497
 =$7,226

Supplies breakdown: 
Lumber: $1,227
Nails and screws: $317 (we did not use every one…maybe had 20% left over)
Metal roof: $255
Straw bales: $80
Windows and Doors: $172 (used)
Insulation: $372
Flashing: $202
Other: $1,144
(tools, weather stripping, lath, extension cords, gutters, stain, paint, lath, fabric, lime)

Missing from estimate: Sand, some additional labor, our own labor, the circular saw we borrowed from my dad, runs to the store to pick up more of something, door knobs, and electrical wiring (surprisingly, I think these unexpected costs probably add another $800).

In summary, it cost about $8,000; half went to labor, half to materials.

Note that there is no kitchen or bathroom in this structure yet (there is a composting toilet hidden under the table, a water cooler, and a hot plate).

Things we learned:
  • NEVER build a house in a hurry.  
    • We compromised on quality in order to be speedy. 
    • The exterior lime was not done properly, reducing the lifespan and integrity of the entire building. 
    • I never finished the floor properly, meaning it will need to be resurfaced much sooner than normal.
    • Some of the upstairs walls are stuffed with DRY STRAW which is a stupid fire hazard. 
  • Spend money on the things that matter the most. 
    • I wish I had done all the exterior lumber in cedar. Especially the siding.
    • A few of the pine boards I ordered were damaged by rot on the ends, but I used them anyways. I'm thinking that was not a good idea.
    • We found a great salvaged door, but it is ruined now due to exposure to the elements. I should have built an overhang to protect it right away. 
    • A bigger porch would have been better, since we spend so much time outside. 
    • Next time, if I build something more than one story, I will hire professionals. Even doing the loft (making my home 1.5 floors) was difficult and terrifying.
  • Building a house is a social activity! 
    • My family chipped in a lot, and we became good buddies with our builders. People often wanted to talk about my house, and I was glad to do so!
  •  Building is an outdoor activity.
    • This may be a "duh" for some of you, but our work was slowed by freezing rain, or just freaky cold temperatures (and we live in North Carolina!). I consider myself quite outdoorsy, but I was not happy out in that cold weather, elbow deep in wet straw. 
  • Flexibility is Required.
    • Shit happens. Especially on your very first house. Don't expect exactly what you envision.
    •  I bought a giant window to be a super long window seat, but structurally it wasn't safe. So I did two small window seats. I also added windows I hadn't planned for.
     
  • Stick to the plan.
    • The building was supposed to be 12'x12' so it could legally be a shed. I added an extra foot at the last minute, because my rough cut 12 footers were actually 13 footers. Now it's a source of worry that it will prevent me from retroactively permitting it. 
  • Build the house to code. 
    • For us, the stress of building an under-the-radar house is absolutely not worth it. I'd rather pay the $500 to get the plans looked over by an architect next time. 
    • Building a house that works for yourself is fine, but building an alternative house that others would want to live in too is more valuable. 
    • Modern green building materials are getting more and more affordable, giving less and less reasons to build a cheap, secret green house like we did. 
    • Building on someone else's land is a great low-cost solution, but you are at the mercy of their life and their luck. If they leave, your house will have to be moved at great expense... or left behind. 

Photo Apr 19, 7 39 32 AM

Photo Apr 19, 7 36 59 AM

Photo Apr 19, 7 35 10 AM

Photo Apr 19, 7 34 47 AM

Photo Apr 19, 7 34 53 AM

Photo Apr 19, 7 34 18 AM

little house

little house

little house

Photo Mar 19, 9 11 07 AM

finished floor and walls

Jan 5

ash working

day one luca 3

day 3 us

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I am very impressed. Looks cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice...Skybryte provides best quality upvc windows and doors manufactures.
    thermogalze upvc windows

    ReplyDelete
  3. The place looks awesome! I bet it was an experience of a lifetime building it.

    I am just curious, where about in North Carolina are you guys? My girlfriend and I are considering building near Asheville but are not sure about what type of building we want to do (depends on what it takes to get a permit I guess).

    ReplyDelete